Hope is a village of great antiquity lending its name to the Hope Valley, which stretches for about six miles with Castleton at one end and Hathersage at the other. There is evidence that Hope has been extremely significant in the region throughout its long history. The village is mentioned in the Doomsday book, of 1086, as having both a priest and a church, the only place in north Derbyshire to have such status at the time. St. Peters Church, opposite the Old Hall, dates from around the 13th Century.
The parish of Hope covered two thirds of the Royal Hunting Forest of north Derbyshire and was one of the largest parishes in the country. From earlier times there are traces of a Roman fort at Brough, just to the east of the village. Its Roman name Navio was later replaced with the Old English word for fort, Brough. Many ancient relics from the site can be seen in Buxton museum. It is thought that the fort was probably built to protect Roman lead mining interests in the Peak District.
The village is built on the crossroads of the A625, Sheffield to Chapel-en-le-Frith road, and the B6049 that runs northward from Tideswell to Edale. This minor road closely follows the route of the old Portway, which was an ancient trading route used by Jaggers, a local term for men driving packhorses carrying salt and other goods from Cheshire. Names like Saltergate Lane and Jaggers Lane probably originate from this period. Check out the Hope guide too for more information about this popular Derbyshire village.
Check out the newest pub in Rick's growing stable - The Anchor at Tideswell, a rum & steak bar with good food and ales served all day 7 days a week.
The Peak District is the oldest national park inthe UK formed on April 17 1951. With 555 square miles to explore including our very own Hope Valley and, further afield, Edale, neighbouring Castleton, lovely Bakewell, famous Chatsworth, the iconic gritstone edges, Stanage, Derwent Edge, Ladybower, Dovedale, Monsal Dale, The famous caverns in Castleton, The Roaches and much more - you're sure to have plenty to see and do during your stay at the Old Hall Hotel in Hope.
History of the Old Hall Hotel itself.
The Old Hall was once known as Hope Hall when, for generations, it was the home of the landowning Balguy family. The framed will of Mary Balguy, who owned Hope Hall in 1774, can be seen hung on a wall in the bar, and on another wall is an inventory of the goods and chattels of Henry Balguy who died in 1686. In St. Peters Church there is a brass on the north chancel wall to Henry Balguy, of Hope Hall, dated I7 March 1685, with his arms and effigy in pointed hat, doublet and breeches.
From 1715, after John Balguy obtained a weekly charter, a cattle market was held within the grounds of the hall. The market was eventually closed after an outbreak of foot and mouth disease but later reinstated in 1843.
The stable yard and coach house were to the rear of the building and the remains of the gateposts that were once the entrance to courtyard can still be seen. This is where the lodge to the hall stood and which later, became a smithy.
In December 1272, permition to start building Hope Hall was given buy the newly appointed king of England Edward 1st. This was knocked down in the early 1500s. Although we have no pictures or documents from the original hall, we can assume that it was quite a small and crooked building compared to the building that stands here today. This was probably why it was decided to build the new hall. The old building was knocked down and the new one was erected on the same foundations. This now ancient foundations can still be seen in the cellar underneath the bar area. The hall was completed in 1508 and then extended in 1729 revealing the building as it stands today. The hall was opened as an inn during the year 1730 and was known as the Cross daggers. On September 14th 1876 ‘The Cross daggers’ was officially renamed the Hall Hotel, although it was referred to locally as the Old Hall, the name it retains to this day.