History of the Old Hall Hotel
The Old Hall was once known as Hope Hall when, for generations, it was the home of the landowning Balguy family. The framed will of Mary Balguy, who owned Hope Hall in 1774, can be seen hung on a wall in the bar, and on another wall is an inventory of the goods and chattels of Henry Balguy who died in 1686. In St. Peters Church there is a brass on the north chancel wall to Henry Balguy, of Hope Hall, dated I7 March 1685, with his arms and effigy in pointed hat, doublet and breeches.
From 1715, after John Balguy obtained a weekly charter, a cattle market was held within the grounds of the hall. The market was eventually closed after an outbreak of foot and mouth disease but later reinstated in 1843.
The stable yard and coach house were to the rear of the building and the remains of the gateposts that were once the entrance to courtyard can still be seen. This is where the lodge to the hall stood and which later, became a smithy.
In December 1272, permition to start building Hope Hall was given buy the newly appointed king of England Edward 1st. This was knocked down in the early 1500s. Although we have no pictures or documents from the original hall, we can assume that it was quite a small and crooked building compared to the building that stands here today. This was probably why it was decided to build the new hall. The old building was knocked down and the new one was erected on the same foundations. This now ancient foundations can still be seen in the cellar underneath the bar area. The hall was completed in 1508 and then extended in 1729 revealing the building as it stands today. The hall was opened as an inn during the year 1730 and was known as the Cross daggers. On September 14th 1876 ‘The Cross daggers’ was officially renamed the Hall Hotel, although it was referred to locally as the Old Hall, the name it retains to this day.